Recipe by Maureen Heon
This is a great cake for company, very impressive.
Top Review by zeluna28
Tried this tonight, and it's wonderful. Light, springy, very simple, baked up beautifully. My only issue is it stuck in my non-stick tube pan.. should have used aluminum or a little bit of shortening in the bottom. Will make it again.
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup poppy seed
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak poppy seeds in 1C boiling water, cool.
- Beat egg whites w/cream of tartar until stiff.
- sift together dry ingredients.
- make a well in dry ingred.
- add canola oil, egg yolks, vanilla and poppy seed mixture Beat until smooth.
- Fold mixture into egg whites, do NOT stir.
- Pour into ungreased tube pan.
- Bake at 350 Degrees for 1-1 1/4 Hour.
- Frost w/whipping cream or cream cheese frosting.