Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 22 mins
This is an old Czech recipe for Poppy Seed Cake that was given to me by a dear friend's Czech grandmother.
- In small sauce pan cook poppy seed with honey and 1/4 cup water for 5-7 minutes.
- Cream butter/margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add cooled poppy seed mixture to creamed mixture, and egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Blend in sour cream and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually add poppy seed mixture to dry mixture, beating well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into batter.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased and floured 9-inch tube (or bundt) pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.