Recipe by Dee514
This is an old Czech recipe for Poppy Seed Cake that was given to me by a dear friend's Czech grandmother.
Top Review by ciao
Outstanding cake, Dee! It's like a buttery poundcake. Very easy to prepare, and easy to put together. A nice addition to my cookbook. I'm having a piece right now with my morning coffee. Great combo! Thanks Dee!
- 1 cup poppy seed
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, scant
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In small sauce pan cook poppy seed with honey and 1/4 cup water for 5-7 minutes.
- Cream butter/margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add cooled poppy seed mixture to creamed mixture, and egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Blend in sour cream and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually add poppy seed mixture to dry mixture, beating well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into batter.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased and floured 9-inch tube (or bundt) pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.