Rum-doused Lemon Poppy-Seed Cake
My sister in laws favourite dessert...enjoy from Enchanted Evenings by John Hadamuscin
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 3⁄4 cups white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon rind, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 10" tube pan or bundt pan.
- In large bowl, beat together butter, cream cheese until well blended.
- Mix in sugar, eggs, and lemon rind until light and fluffy.
- In seperate bowl sift, flour and baking powder, stir into butter mixture.
- Add in poppy seeds.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes.
- Cool 15 minutes in pan, then invert onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Drizzle rum over cooled cake slowly, allowing for absorption before drizzling on rest.
- Cover and let stand 2 or 3 hours before serving.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I made this cake for my rum loving husband. I didn't expect to like it but found it OUTSTANDING! It was so easy to make and turned out very soft and sweet. I used a good quality rum which really added a nice flavor to the cake. I also liked the texture of the poppy seeds. I would say the whipped cream is a must it is so WONDERFUL with the cake flavors. I let it sit 2 hours before serving. My husband poured even more rum on his slice.