Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
These babies can host almost any cheese, from a semisoft or soft ripened variety like Brie to a semihard one like goat's-milk Cheddar. I'm about to introduce mine to Vegemite. NYA-HA-HAAAAAA!!!!
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 9.85 ml salt
- 118.32 ml unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled (1 stick)
- 236.59 ml plain yogurt
- 177.44 ml sesame seeds, toasted
- 78.07 ml poppy seed
- 2 large eggs
- 14.79 ml sugar
- Prepare the dough: Preheat oven to 350°F
- Pulse together flour, baking powder and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
- Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Transfer the flour mixture to a large bowl and add the yogurt, 1/2 cup of the sesame seeds and all of the poppy seeds.
- Stir just until the ingredients are incorporated.
- Divide the dough into quarters, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 10 minutes.
- Bake the crackers: Lightly coat a baking sheet with vegetable oil and set aside.
- Lightly beat the eggs and sugar together in a small bowl until the sugar dissolves and set aside.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to a 10- by 16-inch rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Brush the dough with the egg wash and sprinkle evenly with the remaining sesame seeds.
- Cut into 2- by 5-inch rectangles and bake on the prepared baking sheet until browned -- about 25 minutes.
- Transfer crackers to a wire rack to cool completely and store in an airtight container until ready to serve (up to 1 week).