Prep 8 hrs 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
This is VERY good and rich. No fat. Just HEALTH!!!
- 1 cup split peas
- 3 cups water
- 1 small sweet potato (peeled, chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach (stemmed, chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- Soak peas 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and rinse.
- Combine with the rest in a pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover partially.
- Simmer 4-5 hours or until thick and creamy.
It is very good! Especially considering the low fat - I used skim evaporated milk so the dish is basically NON fat...and very good! Split pea soup with a ham bone is still tastier, but this is a great healthy substitute. I increased all the spices, especially the garlic. It was done in two hours and serves 3-4 people. Made for My 3 Chefs.