Recipe by Cookin'withGas
This one of my favorite stovetop 'one-dish' meals... It's really a Goulash recipe that's been 'adapted' into lighter fare and for lactose intolerance... Macaroni instead of egg noodles and the macaroni is actually added to the mixture instead of the mixture served over the macaroni... There is no sour cream (for the lactose intolerant!) and chili powder is used instead of paprika for a 'kick'... I love having this in the wintertime, it really warms me up!
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked & drained (Ronzoni Whole Wheat pasta)
- 1 lb ground turkey (breast) or 1 lb ground chicken (breast)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried celery flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes (no salt added)
Directions See How It's Made
- After cooking the macaroni, drain and put in deep saucepan and set aside --.
- In a dutch oven, brown the ground turkey with the onion in the oil, stirring often while it cooks -- Drain --.
- Add all the seasonings and the tomatoes (including the liquid) to the ground turkey and onion mixture -- Mix well.
- Slowly add the macaroni and simmer covered, stirring often, for 30 minutes --.
- Variation: Use different pasta, such as rotini, or penne rigati.