I love pomegranates and it is hard to have to wait for the late fall season to be able to have them. So making this jelly is second best. You do not have to make the juice, it can be purchased in the Health Food section of your supermarket or a healthfood store. Make sure it is pure pomegranate juice. A good brand is POM. They even have mix pomegranate and mango, plus other combos! If making this for gifts, you could probably make them in the 4 oz jars. A truly beautiful and tasty jelly. If you like currant jelly, you'll love this!
- 8 (1/2 pt(1 cup)) jars, with lids and rings.
- NOTE: see intro for alternate juice source.
- Peel pomegranates and extract juice.
- Strain juice through cheesecloth.
- Add up to 1/2 cup of water if needed.
- HOWEVER, IT IS BETTER TO USE PURE JUICE.
- Pour juice into a large pan, 6 to 8 quart.
- Pan should not be more than 1/3 full.
- Stir in sugar.
- Bring juice to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Stir in Certo.
- Continue to stir.
- Bring to a full rolling boil (one that will not stir down) and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Skim off foam with large metal spoon.
- Immediately ladle into hot jelly jars.
- Leave 1/4 inch space at top of jars.
- Wipe off any jelly that is on the top of jars, rims and threads. Seal with Dome lids and rings.
- Immediately invert jars on towel and let stay that way for 24 hours.
- Set jars upright and test for proper seal.
- If you are putting jelly into other types of jars or glasses, immediately pour a thin layer of melted wax over hot jelly.
- Put on covers or cover with Saran Wrap.