Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Here is an authentic Uruguayan recipe for marinated chicken. It is simple to make & absolutely delicious. This recipe uses 2 whole chickens - approx weighing 3lbs each - you can use 6lbs of chicken pieces if you prefere. In the recipe I have stated apple vinegar but you can use your own preference. Time to make doesn't include the cooling & chilling time. Posted for ZWT 4.
- 2 (3 lb) whole chickens, cut into serving pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 18 whole black peppercorns
- salt, to taste
- 3 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil
- Brown the chicken in the 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy skillet over high heat.
- Place the chicken pieces in a large saucepan or casserole and add the carrots, onions, garlic and spices.
- Add the vinegar and oil and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the chicken is done.
- Remove from the heat and allow to come to room temperature. Chill well in the refrigerator - at least 5 hours but best overnight - and serve cold.
this was really different from any way i've ever had chicken but still very good. my boyfriend said it tastes like a pickled egg, which is a compliment because he loves anything pickled!! the carrots were very yummy but the onions!! wow, those were tasty! made & reviewed for zwt4 - south america.
Awesome! I made this yesterday as is but cut the recipe in half as it was just me and DH. At first I was wondering, what?eat it cold? :o Hmmm... anyway, after I cooked it, I tasted it and found it balsamic, I continued to chill it overnight and after tasting it now, WOW it's just so delicious! The flavors seemed to have settled and mellowed down during the cooling process giving this dish a wonderful flavor. I sure will be making this again! Keeper! Thank you! Posted for WZT4.