Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Eating Well Newsletter, May/07. Serve this savory dish with herbed biscuits, warm butter, and a fresh tropical fruit compote.
- 4 ounces sweet Italian sausage (about 2 small links)
- 1 lb prepared polenta
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Pierce sausage links with a fork and place in a saucepan.
- Cover with water and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and let cool slightly; cut into thin rounds.
- Meanwhile, pat polenta dry and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Stack slices, 4 or 5 at a time, and cut into quarters.
- Pat slices dry and set aside.
- Cook the sausage slices in a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet, stirring over medium-high heat, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil to the pan.
- Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add peppers, season with salt and peppers and cook, stirring, until tender, about 3 minutes longer.
- Transfer the vegetables to a plate.
- Wipe out the pan and add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan; tilt to coat the bottom evenly.
- Add the reserved polenta and cook, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the reserved vegetables and sausages to the skillet and shake the pan over the heat until everything is heated through.
- Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat, sprinkle with cheese and garnish with parsley.
- Serve immediately.