Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Here is a dynamite solution for a vegetarian side dish or main entree. It is delish when you put the melted cheese on the toast and cover with a light broth - yum! It is so wonderful that everyone at our table asked for more and the broth - they wanted more bread to sop it up. CuisineAtHome.
- 4 slices French bread, brushed with oil on both sides (3/4-inch thick)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, sliced thin
- 1⁄3 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 -2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes (or more, if needed)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil or 3 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pinch oregano (optional)
- lemon juice
- olive oil
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese (1/2-inch thick)
- Preheat broiler to High.
- Toast bread on both sides under broiler; set aside.
- Saute onion, mushrooms, garlic, and pepper flakes in oil over medium-high heat in a saucepan until onion softens, 5 minutes.
- Deglaze with wine; simmer until nearly evaporated, 3–5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth, and vinegar; simmer until tomatoes break down, 8–10 minute
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Toss herbs with lemon juice, oil, salt, and pepper while broth simmers.
- Add cheese to broth and gently cook until it’s soft and a little gooey, 2–3 minutes.
- To serve, arrange a slice of toasted bread in each of four shallow bowls or plates.
- Carefully lift a slice of mozzarella from the broth and place on the bread.
- Drizzle more broth around, top with some herb mixture, and finish with more olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
- **Have some extra bread hunks ready to help sop up the broth.