Prep 5 mins
Cook 13 mins
Tasy filling for tacos, burritos, enchildas, chicken salad... Easy to prepare ahead of time. From "Authentic Mexican" by Rick Bayless.
- 1⁄4 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb chicken breast, halved
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried herbs (marjoram, thyme...)
- 2 bay leaves
- Place onion, water, and salt in a 2-quart saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken (plus addtional hot water to cover, if necessary), skim off any new foam that rises during the first minute of simmering, add herbs and bay leaves, partially cover and simmer for 13 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let the checken cool in the broth, if there is time.
- Skin and bone the chicken, then shred the meat into small pieces, Sprinkle with salt before using, unless directed otherwise in your recipe.
This is a good basic recipe, I thought it needed a little more seasoning - some garlic, and lots of pepper. I did think the chicken had better flavor the next day. Made for PAC 2013 Spring Safari