Quick Refried Beans (Rick Bayless)
- Ready In:
- In a large frying pan put the oil and garlic. Heat over medium heat until the edges of the garlic start to lightly brown.
- Add the can of pinto beans with their liquid. Stir and mash (using a potato masher) for 10-15 minutes until the mixture is fairly smooth.
- The beans might be a bit runny, but once they have cooled and been reheated, they will have thickened.
- One of my daughters likes to have whole beans in her refried beans, so I keep some of the whole pinto beans aside and add them the last minute or two.
- This recipe serves 3-4 as a side dish. If you want to make up this recipe for bean and cheese burritoes, you will have to double the recipe.
- I often like to add a little cumin powder and a dash of oregano to this recipe while the beans are cooking.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is so basic that you can't go wrong. The beans definitely need salt though. I would also drain one can of beans because even with cooling and reheating it was a little too thin. What's nice with these is that you can add various things to change the flavor. I added some fresh lime juice for extra punch along with the cumin and oregano. This with Mexican rice is awesome.