Prep 2 mins
Cook 10 mins
Tomatoes actually get better for you when you cook them. They are one of the only things that don't lose nutrition when cooked, but gain it! We grew way too many tomatoes this year and are having a hard time giving them away. So we eat them every night for dinner! Last night, this is what I came up with and it turned out really yummy!
- 10 plum tomatoes
- 20 fresh green beans, ends trimmed but keep them in full pieces
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Melt margarine in a large skillet.
- Score each tomato with a knife. (Just a slight cut into each one to help release the juices, but don't cut all the way through).
- Add all ingredients to skillet except the feta cheese. Cover the pan with a lid. Sauté, stirring occasionally until tomatoes and beans are softened to desired consistency. (We prefer an "al dente" doneness).
- Add crumbled feta in the last couple of minutes of cooking, so that it just melts.