Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is posted in response to a request for recipes with plums! Yum! Adapted from BH&G. If you wish, use an already made pie crust!
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 medium plums, pitted and sliced
- 2 medium nectarines, pitted and thinly sliced
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 6 -7 tablespoons cold water
- cinnamon sugar
- For filling, in a large mixing bowl stir together sugar, the 3 tablespoons flour, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add the plum and nectarine slices; gently toss plums and nectarines until coated.
- Set filling aside.
- For pastry, in a large mixing bowl stir together the 2 cups flour and salt.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in the shortening or lard until pieces are the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the flour mixture, then gently toss with a fork.
- Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl.
- Repeat, using 1 tablespoon of water at a time, until all is moistened.
- Divide dough in half.
- Form each half into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten one ball of dough.
- Roll dough from center to edges, forming a 12-inch circle.
- Wrap the pastry around the rolling pin.
- Unroll onto a 9-inch pie plate.
- Ease pastry into the pie plate, being careful not to stretch it.
- For top crust, repeat rolling with remaining dough.
- Transfer the filling to the pastry-lined pie plate.
- Trim the bottom pastry even with rim of pie plate.
- Cut slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Place top crust on filling.
- Trim top crust 1/2-inch beyond edge of plate.
- Fold top crust under bottom crust; flute edge.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
- To prevent overbrowning, cover the edge of pie with foil.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or until top is golden.
- Cool pie on a wire rack.
This was a delicious pie - evrybody really enjoyed it! I used yellow plums, nectarines and then added a couple of apricots. Thanks for another great recipe!
Good to excellent pie and very easy. I would add 1 more tablespoon of flour to thicken it up more. I used splenda instead of sugar and it worked great. The pie is nice and tart and I used a pillsbury pie crust which worked out fine. Try this pie its well worth it.
Gotta admit that when I saw all the steps involved in making this pie, I almost said 'NO!' Then, I thought about the combo of plum & nectarine & decided to dive right in! Glad I did, 'cause this pie has an ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL TASTE to it, & the cinnamon was a great touch! Thanks for sharing your recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Pleast Review My Recipe]