I received this recipe from dear friends of our family. For years, they generously entertained us westerners with their traditional family recipes and finally after so many requests they made a recipe book as a gift to all their very grateful friends. The recipes, including this one are from the Punjab region of India. This rice dish is a traditional Indian recipe and is a great addition to any curry dish. This rice dish may seem a little more difficult than some, but it is well worth the effort.
- Heat oil in a deep pot. Add onions and cook till onions are transparent.
- At medium heat, add peas to oil and cook for two minutes.
- Crush the Black Peppers with the back of a spoon and add to the oil mixture along with the Cumin, Salt, Cinnamon stick and Bay leaves.
- Add rice to the oil mixture and stir well, making sure the rice is well coated.
- Add water and bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until all water is absorbed.