Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
serve to your favorite vulcan in bed. A carrot/onion/celery soup. I don't think this is the version that came out of the 70s cookbook. I do think it might be the version out of Nelix's cookbook however considering his gastronomical delights.. Kirk version has cream. For vegetarians or Vulcans use the vegetable stock and lose the cream. To Ornish drop the butter or sub and drop the cream. Follow the unoffical notes.
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup butter, substitute or 1 cup vegan butter, substitute, see notes
- 4 cups carrots, peeled and chopped
- 5 cups celery, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 1 teaspoon soul seasoning
- 1 tablespoon beef stew seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos
- 12 1⁄3 ounces silken firm tofu
- NOTE: If using the vegan butter sub, saute the onion in a bit of the vegetable broth. Do not add the butter until you reach the serving stage then taste and add to taste.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a saucepan and saute the onions over low heat until transparent.
- Add the remaining butter, melt, and add the carrots--cooking over low heat until browned, about 30 minutes.
- Add the celery and cook 10 more minutes on low heat. Pour in the stock, salt, and pepper, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let soup simmer for about an hour.
- When ready to serve if you want Kirk's version add the heavy cream.
- Ok the above is the "official recipe".
- Notes for unofficial additions:.
- First lose the cream. It is no longer optional because you are using the tofu. I also lost the butter. I used Butterbuds in place of it. If needed add more liquid or increase the amount of tofu.
- Add the seasonings to the soup when you simmer. that includes the Braggs.
- when ready to serve, puree the soup with a stick blender then add the cut up tofu [cut for ease in the next part] and puree again. it should turn almost a dreamsicle color. It shouldn't need thickening however let simmer a bit more if it does then serve with garnish of greens and diced tomatoes or a bit of salsa.
I thought this soup was easy to make and quite nice. My 'its illogical to lie" Vulcan, however, tells me his mother made better. He will be wearing this soup next Ponn Farr