Recipe by CookETC
Calling all pie lovers and seasoned bakers. I would love your opinions on this sweet potato pie recipe. It was my first attempt and I thought it came out really good, but I would greatly appreciate objective and honest comments and reviews. The "Basic Flaky Pie Crust" recipe came from another website and I didn't change a thing (in my opinion, the crust was perfect!) For the filling, I read several recipes, tweaked them each a tad and settled on a combination that I thought might work. So, please try my sweet potato pie....and let me know what you think. I value your opinions.
Top Review by petlover
I looked through alot of recipes before choosing this one. This is a great recipe-made the crust the day before ( Marha Stewarts no fail recipe) otherwise I followed the recipe. Thanks Cooketc.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening, chilled
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 (15 ounce) cancut sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon plus 2 dashes ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- PIE CRUST:.
- Whisk the flour and salt together in a medium size bowl.
- Cut in the cold shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Drizzle 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water over flour.
- Toss mixture with a fork to moisten, adding more water a few drops at a time until the dough comes together.
- Gently gather dough particles together into a ball, then wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes before rolling.
- Roll out dough, and put in an 8 1/4" x 1 1/4" foil pie plate.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place well drained sweet potatoes in medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add softened butter and mix well with mixer.
- Stir in sugars, evaporated milk, eggs, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth.
- Pour filling into the unbaked pie crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.