This dish is from Puerto Rico and is very tasty using the plantains. Plantains are similar to bananas but are much larger and have a green skin.
- 3 large plantains, ripe but firm
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1 large egg
- 4 piece boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 8 ounces each)
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 1 large bay leaf
- 44.37 ml butter
- 236.59 ml water
- 1 small onion, chopped small
- 226.79 g frozen mixed vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, peas, carrots, corn, green beans, brussels sprouts or your own preferred comb)
- Peel plantain and cut in half lengthwise.
- Remove vein and discard.
- In a large saucepan, add cut plantains; cover with water and bring to boil.
- Add salt, cover and continue to cook for about 3 minutes or until done.
- To test for doneness, insert a fork into the plantain and it should penetrate easily.
- Remove plantain into a large mixing bowl.
- Mash plantain.
- Add egg and mix thoroughly until well blended.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare a cookie sheet by lining with 2 pieces of parchment paper.
- Spread the plantain mixture over the entire area of the cookie sheet until about 1/4 inch thick; set aside.
- In a large frying pan add chicken, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add bay leaf, butter and water and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium; cover, but leave a slight opening for steam to escape.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add onion and continue to cook for another 10 to 12 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add additional water if required while cooking, (DO NOT LET DRY.).
- When chicken is done, remove and let cool for a few minutes in order to handle.
- Shred chicken into a mixing bowl.
- Remove bay leaf and discard.
- Remove onions from frying pan with a slotted spoon and add to the chicken.
- Make sure the onions are quite dry when adding to the shredded chicken.
- Add mixed vegetables and mix well to blend.
- Spoon mixture over the prepared plantain leaving about 3 inches from each end and 2 inches from the sides.
- Begin rolling plantain over vegetables, using the parchment paper to assist.
- Remove parchment paper as you are rolling.
- Leave rolled plantain on the cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes to rest.
- Cut into 1 inch slices and serve.
- Serve with cooked rice or with a salad.