1/1 Photo of Plantain Chicken Rolls
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This dish is from Puerto Rico and is very tasty using the plantains. Plantains are similar to bananas but are much larger and have a green skin.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 pieces boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 8 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 small onion, chopped small
- 8 ounces frozen mixed vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, peas, carrots, corn, green beans, brussels sprouts or your own preferred comb)
- 1Peel plantain and cut in half lengthwise.
- 2Remove vein and discard.
- 3In a large saucepan, add cut plantains; cover with water and bring to boil.
- 4Add salt, cover and continue to cook for about 3 minutes or until done.
- 5To test for doneness, insert a fork into the plantain and it should penetrate easily.
- 6Remove plantain into a large mixing bowl.
- 7Mash plantain.
- 8Add egg and mix thoroughly until well blended.
- 9Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 10Prepare a cookie sheet by lining with 2 pieces of parchment paper.
- 11Spread the plantain mixture over the entire area of the cookie sheet until about 1/4 inch thick; set aside.
- 12In a large frying pan add chicken, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 13Add bay leaf, butter and water and bring to boil.
- 14Reduce heat to medium; cover, but leave a slight opening for steam to escape.
- 15Cook for 5 minutes.
- 16Add onion and continue to cook for another 10 to 12 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- 17Add additional water if required while cooking, (DO NOT LET DRY.).
- 18When chicken is done, remove and let cool for a few minutes in order to handle.
- 19Shred chicken into a mixing bowl.
- 20Remove bay leaf and discard.
- 21Remove onions from frying pan with a slotted spoon and add to the chicken.
- 22Make sure the onions are quite dry when adding to the shredded chicken.
- 23Add mixed vegetables and mix well to blend.
- 24Spoon mixture over the prepared plantain leaving about 3 inches from each end and 2 inches from the sides.
- 25Begin rolling plantain over vegetables, using the parchment paper to assist.
- 26Remove parchment paper as you are rolling.
- 27Leave rolled plantain on the cookie sheet.
- 28Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- 29Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes to rest.
- 30Cut into 1 inch slices and serve.
- 31Serve with cooked rice or with a salad.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Plantain Chicken Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 169.0
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 34.7 mg
- Sodium 429.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 3.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless skinless chicken breasts