Recipe by Mimi in Maine
This is an Italian anise cookie that is made on a Pizzelle iron. I make these every Christmas, but should all year as I love them. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar and they are so pretty and good.
Top Review by LadyWolf_az
Wonderful... Just like my Mother-in-Law, who passed away this year, used to make. I needed a recipe so that I could make them for my ailing Father-in-Law. They made him very happy.
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons anise flavoring (1-fluid ounce bottle)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter and cool slightly.
- Beat eggs and sugar till smooth.
- Add the cooled butter.
- Add anise flavoring.
- Add the rest of ingredients and mix well.
- Heat the pizzelle iron and place a rounded spoonful of dough in the center of design.
- Dough will be slightly soft.
- Press handles of iron together for just a short time till the pizzelle is done.
- These freeze well.
- When ready to serve, sift confectioners sugar over them.
- I don't know the exact yield, but this makes a lot of them; I'm just guessing.