Recipe by Leslie in Texas
These are an easy open-face sandwich that make a quick lunch or supper. When made on small cut-out rounds of bread, these puffs are great cocktail fare! Originally from a September 1982 issue of Bon Appetit featuring the food processor.
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, well chilled, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 small onion, halved (about 2 ounces()
- 1 1⁄2 ounces piece pepperoni, halved
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 8 slices French bread, lightly toasted (or Italian bread)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place egg whites in the work bowl of a food processor with the steel blade and whip 8 seconds.
- With machine running, pour vinegar through feed tube and continue processing until whites are stiff, about 45 seconds.
- Using rubber spatula,gently transfer egg whites to 1-quart mixing bowl; do not wash out processor work bowl.
- Combine cheese, onion, pepperoni,basil, oregano and salt in work bowl and blend 10 seconds, stopping once to scrape down sides of work bowl. Add mayonnaise and blend 5 seconds.
- Add 1/4 of egg whites and mix, using 2 on/off turns.
- Add remaining egg whites.
- Run spatula around edge of work bowl then blend using 3 on/off turns.
- Run spatula around edge of work bowl again and mix using 1 more on/off turn.
- Preheat broiler.
- Spread 2 teaspoons tomato paste over each slice of bread.
- Mound 1/4 cup cheese mixture on each;arrange on baking sheet.
- Broil 6 inches from heat source until tops are puffed and golden, about 3 1/2 to 4 minutes.
- Serve immediately.