Named after Queen Margherita who was reportedly very fond of this pizza.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- prepared pizza dough, for one 9-inch pizza (Neapolitan-Style Pizza Dough)
- 1/2 cup simple pizza sauce, at room temperature (Simple Pizza Sauce)
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced and torn into smaller pieces (use fresh mozzarella)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 -4 large fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- 1Thirty to sixty minutes before baking the pizza, place a baking stone on a rack in the lowest level of the oven; preheat oven to 500°.
- 2Place the dough on a floured surface; holding your hands flat, pat the ball out evenly with your fingers, lifting it and turning it over several times, until it reaches a 9-inch circle—do not handle the dough any more than is necessary; if the dough seems sticky, dust it lightly with flour.
- 3Dust a pizza peel or a rimless cookie sheet with flour.
- 4Carefully transfer the circle of dough to the peel; shake the peel once or twice to make sure the dough does not stick; if it does, sprinkle the peel with more flour.
- 5Spread the tomato sauce on the dough, leaving a ½ inch border.
- 6Distribute the mozzarella slices on top; drizzle with oil.
- 7To slide the pizza onto the baking stone, line up the edge of the peel with the back edge of the stone, then tilt the peel, jerking it gently to start the pizza moving.
- 8When the edge of the pizza touches the stone, carefully pull back on the peel until the pizza is completely off.
- 9Once the pizza is on the stone, do not attempt to move it until it firms up in 2-3 minutes.
- 10Bake 6-7 minutes, or until the dough is crisp and browned.
- 11Scatter the basil over the pizza; serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Very Low Carbs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pizza Margherita
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.2
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 44.7 mg
- Sodium 656.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 13.8 g