Recipe by BlondieItaliana
Another one of my Grandmother's Traditional Italian Recipes. This is a little time consuming in the prep. phase, but it's more than worth it in the end. There is nothing like this when you taste it. This is by far one of my favorites, and my brother's favorite, and my husband's favorite, and so on, & so on... :-) We always have it on Easter and Christmas. You can make your own pizza dough for this recipe or buy the dough already made... I sometimes buy it from our local pizzeria when I'm pressed for time. This can be served hot, warm or cold.
Top Review by Soxfan
This is it!!! My grandmother from Italy made this at Easter. It's so good at room temp or even chilled. We cut up and distribute the anchovies throughout. Thanks so much for the memories-will teach my kids how to make when they are older.
- 4 lbs pizza dough
- 8 heads escarole
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 14 ounces sliced olives (DRAINED)
- 1 (2 ounce) can anchovies
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut bottom off escarole. Then cut in half. Clean escarole in sink of water as many times until water is clean and no dirt. Boil in pot of salted water until tender - approximately 20 minutes. If bitter add 1-2 teaspoons sugar. Drain very well. Squeeze out all excess water with hands or in paper towel or dish towel.
- Next sauté escarole in frying pan with garlic and olive oil. Cold garlic 1st in cold oil or else escarole becomes crisp. Add red pepper flakes if you like it hot.
- Add drained, sliced olives and salt as desired. Keep in mind anchovies will be salty. When done, drain excess oil out of escarole via colander.
- Place dough in oiled then buttered pan (I use brush). Make sure dough comes up sides of pan. Put escarole mixture inside dough. Add anchovies on top in layered pieces. Stir lightly through. Put on top layer of dough for crust. Pinch seems together tightly of top and bottom dough layers. Brush with oil on top and melted butter. Make fork holes for ventilation.
- Bake 400ºF for 15 minutes. Then reduce to 350ºF for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush melted butter on top crust when removed from oven.