Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a basic bread recipe which I generally make without the oil in order to reduce fat from calories. Using this in recipes I really notice very little difference with or without oil.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast (or 1 tsp bulk)
- 1 cup warm water (about 90-105 degrees warm but not hot)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (optional)
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- Stir together yeast and water until dissolved.
- Mix flour, sugar, and salt and stir in the water and yeast and oil (if used).
- Knead lightly until smooth adding just enough flour to make a light dough.
- Cover and let rise 45-60 minutes or until double.
- Divide and stretch to fit one large sized pizza pan.
- Or if making sandwiches divide into twelve 2oz. portions. Shape as needed for sandwich recipe.
- For large pizza, pre-bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Then top as desired and bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- For individual pizzas, pre-bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes. These can be frozen for later use. When ready to use, top each as desired and bake at 400 for 7-10 minutes.
- Excess dough can be shaped into balls and frozen. Place shaped dough on any sheet pan and do not allow to rise at all. Place immediately in freezer covered in plastic wrap. After frozen transfer dough to freezer bags or other container of choice. To thaw, place rolls on counter top or baking tray and allow to rise at room temperature about 2 hours Then bake according to directions.