Recipe by breezermom
Families in central and northwestern Spain enjoy this peppery potpourri of vegetables. In some areas, scrambled eggs are added, or eggs are poached on top of the mixture. From Classic International Recipes. Posted for ZWT.
Top Review by katew
This must get 5 stars for versatility !! We have eaten 1/2 as a tasty side dish and the other half I am going to bake eggs in, but you could use it on pasta, on pizza, in soup etc etc Wonderful to keep in the freezer for emergencies. I made it without ham as we are mainly vegetarian. made for Holiday Tag.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 small eggplant, unpeeled and cubed
- 1 small green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 cup ham, fully cooked and diced
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet cook onion and garlic in hot oil till tender but not brown. Be careful not to burn them.
- Stir in tomatoes, zucchini slices, eggplant cubes, green pepper strips, red pepper strips, ham, sherry, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes or till eggplant and zucchini are tender.
- If desired, stir egg into mixture or poach eggs on top.