Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Adapted from Najmieh Batmanglij's "Persian Cooking for a Healthy Kitchen". I have not yet had the chance to try this recipe, but it looks delicious and I cannot wait to test it out!
- 1 cup pistachios, shelled
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced finely
- 1 leek, chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons rice flour
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper or 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pistachios, slivered (garnish)
- Soak and rinse the pistachios a couple times, if salted. Finely grind the pistachios in a food processor.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the shallot, leek and the garlic. Saute until translucent. Add the rice flour, stirring constantly. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the ground pistachios, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the orange and lime/lemon juices, stir. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Garnish with pistachios and lime zest (optional) Can be served hot or cold.