Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Oh, I love this recipe! Not too sweet - totally OK for brunch, a little "sumpin-sumpin" or, when paired with a nice Sauternes, a lovely dessert. Looks like a long recipe - it's not. Just very specific instructions from those guys at the California Pistachio Commission.
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup canned pumpkin
- 2⁄3 cup flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup pistachios, chopped (natural California)
Pistachio Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, grated
- 1 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped (natural California)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 10 x 15 x 1 inch pan with waxed paper or parchment; grease and flour.
- Beat eggs on high, add sugar gradually until very thick and volume is tripled, about 5 minutes.
- Fold in lemon juice and pumpkin gently.
- Sift combined dry ingredients except pistachios over egg mixture; lightly fold into egg mixture.
- Spread into prepared pan and sprinkle with pistachios.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until top springs back when lightly pressed.
- Turn cake out onto waxed paper and trim crisp edges with knife.
- Working quickly, cover cake with second sheet of waxed paper and roll up from short side, rolling paper inside.
- Set aside; prepare Pistachio Cream Cheese Filling.
- Beat cream cheese and butter together with powdered sugar and lemon zest until creamy. Stir in pistachios.
- When cake has cooled, unroll and spread filling over entire surface.
- Re-roll cake. Slice to serve.