Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Delicous served with cornbread.
- 1 lb dried pinto bean
- 5 cups water
- 4 smoked ham hocks
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Rinse beans and remove stones. Soak in 5 cups of water overnight.
- Place beans and water into 7-8 quart slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Remove hocks. Cool.
- Remove meat from hocks, cut into small pieces, and stir into beans.