Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Yummy and healthy
- 1⁄2 lb dry pinto beans
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Soak beans overnight in water.
- Drain and rinse bean in a colander.
- In a heavy pan, combine all ingredients.
- Being to a boil, cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer 1 1/2 hours, or until beans are tender.
I served this up with cornbread and collard greens. Thanks for a vegetarian pinto bean recipe!
Excellent flavor and smelled great while cooking. This would be great for a filling for tacos, enchilladas, or burritos. I will reduce the water or increase the amount of dry beans next time as they were a little soupier than I expected.
These were great! I was looking for a recipe that did not have any meat or salt in the ingrediants. I only made a couple of changes. I added 1 cup of chopped onions and used vegetable stock in replacement of the water and the vegetable boullion. I also added about 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper to give it an extra kick! I will definately be making these again! Thank you again!