Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
People will actually request for you to make beans. I've taken these to football parties and picnics. People are always saying the beans are great. Beans? From the back of "China Doll" dried pinto bean packaging.
- 2 cups dry pinto beans, soaked and rinsed
- 1 ham bone
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 cup bacon fat or 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped or 1 1⁄4 cups canned tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram, ground
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (to taste)
- Cover beans with fresh water. Add ham bone, salt and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for about 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- Drain beans and reserve liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat bacon fat in large skillet; cook onion and garlic in fat until golden. Add all remaining ingredients. Cover and cook about 45 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Combine tomato mixture with beans. Add bean liquid as needed to achieve stew consistency. Simmer, covered, over low heat for another 15 minutes.
- Remove ham bone before serving.