Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my mom's pumpkin bread. I tried a couple out here on Zaar and they were good...but had to get this one out there...simply divine! That and I wanted to see the nutrient information... Who knows where she got it but thank goodness she did! But beware!! This is not for the diet conscious! Tip: If you boil your pumpkin to get to your pumpkin puree, save the water and use in the recipe.
- Grease and flour baking pans. Turn oven to 350.
- Cream the shortening and sugar.
- Stir in eggs, pumpkin, and water.
- Sift together flour, soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Blend to a smooth dough.
- Stir in chopped nuts and raisins (if using).
- Bake larg loaves 60-70 minuts or until center tests clean. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool.
- Yields 2 9x5x3 loaves -- or -- 3 8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/2 -- or -- 30 cupcakes. Adjust bake times accordingly.
- This recipe also works well with the addition of a cup of shredded zuccini or chocolate chips.