Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my mom's pumpkin bread. I tried a couple out here on Zaar and they were good...but had to get this one out there...simply divine! That and I wanted to see the nutrient information... Who knows where she got it but thank goodness she did! But beware!! This is not for the diet conscious! Tip: If you boil your pumpkin to get to your pumpkin puree, save the water and use in the recipe.
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 3 1⁄3 cups flour (sifted)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 2⁄3 cup walnuts (chopped)
- Grease and flour baking pans. Turn oven to 350.
- Cream the shortening and sugar.
- Stir in eggs, pumpkin, and water.
- Sift together flour, soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Blend to a smooth dough.
- Stir in chopped nuts and raisins (if using).
- Bake larg loaves 60-70 minuts or until center tests clean. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool.
- Yields 2 9x5x3 loaves -- or -- 3 8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/2 -- or -- 30 cupcakes. Adjust bake times accordingly.
- This recipe also works well with the addition of a cup of shredded zuccini or chocolate chips.