Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This recipe has been in my In-law's family for a very long time. Every holiday they are made for parties. They are the first cookie that is gone!!! This is a low calorie cookie - that even for Weight Watchers (WW) they are about 1 point for 2 smallish cookies!!!
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons red gelatin powder
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Carefully seperate egg whites from yolks - ANY yolk left in the egg whites and you will not be able to make the meringue!
- In a clean dry bowl whip egg whites, white vinegar and salt until stiff (but not dry!).
- Add in sugar and jello powder (Traditionally we use Red Jello - such as raspberry or Cherry -- ).
- Fold in chocolate chips
- On buttered cookie sheet, drop spoonfuls of meringue - I do smaller, bite sized cookies.
- Bake on a buttered cookie sheet for 30 minutes at 250* then turn off the oven and let them sit there over night.
- Do not peek or open the oven! They will turn out soft and chewy!
- Preparation time is to make the meringue - Cooking time is total time to make!
AWEFUL!! WAY TOO much salt! I tried this recipe and threw the entire batch away!! We couldn't eat them! I like the idea of the cherry & chocolate in the meringue, but with a different recipe!
I agree with chef 908577! AWFUL! I too threw out the entire batch because the recipe called for too much salt.
Lesson learned - read comments first!
I used lemon jello and added flaked semi sweet chocolate...use less salt and parchment paper