1/1 Photo of Pink Bean Soup
3 hrs 20 mins
This is a recipe I've been searching for for a long time. On my trips to Southern California, I would always stop in a restaurant named Keefer's Inn in King City, California. Unfortunately, the restaurant changed hands and this soup served there wasn't the same.In the old restaurant, in their gift shop, burlap bags of pink beans were sold along with a recipe card for this soup. I never bought one because I thought the restaurant would be there forever! I wrote in to a local newspaper food column asking if anyone still had the recipe and lucked out! Pink beans are smallish, sweet, meaty beans sometimes are known as chili beans; however, any pea or bean will work. I just love the pink beans for this savory soup. * cooking time does not include overnight soaking ** a ham bone can certainly be used instead of a ham hock
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse the beans, checking for stones and debris.
- 2Soak beans overnight.
- 3Saute bacon until crisp, drain.
- 4Add carrots, celery, onions and garlic to bacon grease.
- 5Saute 5-10minutes.
- 6Drain beans.
- 7Put in bean soup pot along with carrots, celery, onions and garlic.
- 8Add the cooked bacon.
- 9Add the ham hock, tomato sauce and water.
- 10Bring to a boil, turn the heat down and simmer for 2 1/2 hours until beans are soft.
- 11Remove the ham hock and pull the meat from the bone.
- 12Chop and return meat to the soup.
- 13Remove 1/4th to 1/3rd of the beans, mash or puree.
- 14Return to pot and simmer another 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 15Skim off unwanted grease.
- 16Season with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pink Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 91.9
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 1.6 mg
- Sodium 211.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: