Pink Potato Soup
I don't know where I got this recipe, but I've been making it for 25 or 30 years. My ex-MIL's boyfriend was at the excruciating end of his terminal pancreatic cancer, and I made some for him, in the hope that he could tolerate maybe THIS, as he couldn't seem to tolerate anything else. It did the trick, and he spent his final days having bowl after bowl of this, and loving every spoonful.
- Ready In:
- 3 large potatoes, cubed
- 1 celery rib, diced fine
- 1 carrot, diced fine
- 1 onion, diced fine
- 4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Boil potatoes, celery, carrot and onion in 1/2 cup water in a covered saucepan for 20 minutes. **Note per 1st review: If veggies are not diced in a VERY fine dice, this will need more than 1/2 cup water to cook. Use water to cover, more if needed.**.
- Add milk, salt, pepper and parsley; bring just to boiling point.
- Mix sour cream, flour and paprika.
- Remove 1 cup hot mix from pan, stir into sour cream mix, return all to pot.
- Cook, stirring constantly until bubbly and flour has thoroughly cooked (or soup will have a "floury" taste).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Found this recipe while looking for something to use up all those potatoes I found on sale. What a lovely soup; warm, creamy and thick comfort on this super cold winter day. The slight pink tinge gave it that extra appeal. I did add a bit of crushed garlic and some crisp bacon for that extra punch. DH and I both enjoyed it. It made a lot so I've tried freezing some and hope that turns out well. Made for the photo forum - comfort foodsReply
DH & I really enjoyed this soup! DS wasn't a huge fan of it, mainly because of the color. I used half paprika & half dried chipotle pepper which added a little heat to the dish. Other than that, made as directed. Very easy soup & smelled delicious simmering away. In fact, DS said he could have eaten right out of the pan of simmering veggies before the milk was added! LOL I must have had it on too high of a simmer, as I ended up having to add another 1/2 cup of water to finish cooking the veggies. Today was the perfect rainy, cold day for soup! Thanks for sharing, daviann! Made for October 2009 Think Pink tag event.Reply