Prep 2 mins
Cook 12 mins
A beautiful yellow filling for cakes or cookies. I like to use this in Filled Christmas Cookies as an alternate to date and mincemeat fillings.
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice or 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind or 1 teaspoon lemon rind
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple (with juice)
- Put first three ingredients in a small sauce pan.
- Mix well and add the rest.
- Cook over low heat, stirring/whisking constantly until thick.
- Cool before filling/frosting cake.
the recipe was very tasty, easy to make the only problem was it took a long to to thicken. other then that the recipe is great
I have been experimenting with making pineapple squares and they just weren't intense enough. The pineapple didn't shine. I changed this a bit by eliminating the rind and decreasing the butter, and I cooked it on medium high heat until it started to boil. The citrus made the filling the star of the pastry instead of the other way around. Excellent.