Recipe by mollypaul
A lush spinach souffle dish from the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- 1 quart spinach, washed very well and chopped (if using frozen, drained very well)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons grated cheese
- 3 eggs, separated
- 6 shrimp, cooked and peeled
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the egg yolks well; beat the egg whites to soft peaks.
- Cook the onion in the butter; add spinach and fry quickly.
- Add flour and milk and cook until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper and add grated cheese.
- When it begins to boil, remove from heat and add well beaten egg yolks followed by the egg whites.
- Turn into a lightly greased baking dish; place baking dish into a pan of hot water and bake in a preheated 450F oven for ten minutes.
- Garnish with the shrimp and serve while hot.