Recipe by Julesong
This is one of my adopted recipes. It looks delicious and a little decadent. ;)
Top Review by Wenstar
This is a lovely recipe. It makes a nice change from butter and garlic. It's very easy to make, and the dish is not very heavy despite having cream in it. The lemon gives it a lovely lift. We did have leftovers and the flavors mellowed and blended well. The lemon was not as pronounced as on the first day but a little squeeze from a wedge brings it right back, although it tasted fine without it. Thank you Heather for a great side dish.
- 2 lbs fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, diced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch mace
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (juice of 1/2 lemon)
- 2 sprigs parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean mushrooms and slice in half if large.
- Pat dry.
- Fry bacon in a large pan until lightly browned.
- Remove from pan and reserve.
- Add the butter to the pan drippings.
- Add onions; saute until lightly browned.
- Add mushrooms; cook until tender, stirring often.
- Stir in wine, salt, pepper, paprika, nutmeg, and mace.
- Cover frypan and cook over low heat 15 minutes.
- Off the heat, add the cooked bacon, cream and lemon juice.
- Reheat until just warm.
- Do NOT let the mixture boil!
- Garnish with parsley and serve with noodles or dumplings.