1 hr 15 mins
This is a dinner party dish that can be prepared in advance so you can relax with your guests
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 10 ounces of a good quality chicken stock
- 12 ounces button mushrooms
- 9 tablespoons madeira wine
- 4 -6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 sheet ready made puff pastry
- 1 medium egg yolk
- 1Start well ahead to prepare the chicken.
- 2Cut each breast in half and flatten breasts and thighs into thin rounds.
- 3You will have 12 rounds.
- 4Roll each piece tightly into a sausage shape.
- 5Dust the pieces with flour.
- 6In a heavy casserole saute them in 2 tbsp of oil and 2 tbsp butter until golden brown.
- 7Season with salt and pepper.
- 8Skim off excess fat from the pan, then add the chicken stock.
- 9Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 10Cool completely.
- 11Slice mushrooms thinly and saute them in 2 tbls of oil and 1 tbsp of butter until golden.
- 12Season with salt and pepper and moisten with 6 tbsp of Madeira.
- 13Cool To make the sauce melt 2 tbsp of butter in a heavy sauce pan add 3 tbsp of flour and stir over moderate heat until it is a deep golden colour.
- 14Remove from heat and beat in remaining Madeira and the juices from the chicken, stir in the cream.
- 15Bring to boil and stir constantly.
- 16Fold in half the mushrooms and simmer 20 minutes longer, adding a little more stock if the sauce becomes too thick.
- 17Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- 18Divide the pastry into six pieces.
- 19Roll each piece out and cut into a 7" square.
- 20Place one breast and 1 thigh diagonally on each pastry square.
- 21Cover with 1/6th of the remaining mushrooms.
- 22Fold one corner of the pastry up over the filling.
- 23Continue to fold over the other corners, so they all meet in the middle, like an envelope.
- 24Brush seems with beaten egg yolk and seal tightly Arrange the'pillows' on a baking sheet, seam side underneath.
- 25Glaze pastry with beaten egg yolk.
- 26Decorate with pastry leaves and tassles made from scraps of puff pastry and glaze these as well.
- 27Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until'pillows' are well risen and golden.
- 28Reheat the madeira sauce and serve with the chicken.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pillows of Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (340 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 651.6
- Calories from Fat 375
- Total Fat 41.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 158.1 mg
- Sodium 307.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 33.9 g