Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a dinner party dish that can be prepared in advance so you can relax with your guests
Make and share this Pillows of Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 10 ounces of a good quality chicken stock
- 12 ounces button mushrooms
- 9 tablespoons madeira wine
- 4 -6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 sheet ready made puff pastry
- 1 medium egg yolk
- Start well ahead to prepare the chicken.
- Cut each breast in half and flatten breasts and thighs into thin rounds.
- You will have 12 rounds.
- Roll each piece tightly into a sausage shape.
- Dust the pieces with flour.
- In a heavy casserole saute them in 2 tbsp of oil and 2 tbsp butter until golden brown.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Skim off excess fat from the pan, then add the chicken stock.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Slice mushrooms thinly and saute them in 2 tbls of oil and 1 tbsp of butter until golden.
- Season with salt and pepper and moisten with 6 tbsp of Madeira.
- Cool To make the sauce melt 2 tbsp of butter in a heavy sauce pan add 3 tbsp of flour and stir over moderate heat until it is a deep golden colour.
- Remove from heat and beat in remaining Madeira and the juices from the chicken, stir in the cream.
- Bring to boil and stir constantly.
- Fold in half the mushrooms and simmer 20 minutes longer, adding a little more stock if the sauce becomes too thick.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Divide the pastry into six pieces.
- Roll each piece out and cut into a 7" square.
- Place one breast and 1 thigh diagonally on each pastry square.
- Cover with 1/6th of the remaining mushrooms.
- Fold one corner of the pastry up over the filling.
- Continue to fold over the other corners, so they all meet in the middle, like an envelope.
- Brush seems with beaten egg yolk and seal tightly Arrange the'pillows' on a baking sheet, seam side underneath.
- Glaze pastry with beaten egg yolk.
- Decorate with pastry leaves and tassles made from scraps of puff pastry and glaze these as well.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until'pillows' are well risen and golden.
- Reheat the madeira sauce and serve with the chicken.
MMMMMMM mmmmmmm good!