Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
We always made these at harvest time when the neighbors got together and filled silo. This is how I learned to make them from my grandmother.
- 1 head cabbage
- 680.38 g ground beef
- 236.59 ml rice, cooked
- 1 onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml tomato juice
- 236.59 ml water
- salt and pepper
- Brown ground beef and onion. Salt and pepper to taste. Drain grease. Stir together rice and browned ground beef and set aside.
- Bring a large kettle of water to a boil and remove from heat.
- Carefully remove 16 leaves from the head of cabbage and put leaves in the water and let set until wilted.
- Remove a leaf from the water with tongs, take a good sized tablespoon of the hamburger-rice mixture into the leaf and wrap leaf around the burger mixture. May need to secure with a toothpick to keep closed.
- Place in a greased 9x13 pan.
- Repeat with remaining leaves and burger mixture.
- When you have used all the mixture, pour tomato juice and water over top of cabbage rolls.
- Cover and bake for an hour at 325.