Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is bright, fresh and right out of the garden! If you like it thicker add tomato sauce or paste. I usually mix 4 ounces of tomato sauce with 4 tablespoons of tomato paste to get a thicker salsa for hubby, but use as much or as little as you like. Serve with tortilla chips. Hope you try this for your next party!
- 8 cups tomatoes, seeded, chopped and drained
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped fine (more to taste)
- 1 red onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 white onion, chopped fine
- 4 scallions, chopped fine
- 1 green bell pepper, small, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon chives, chopped fine
- 6 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 limes, juiced (use the zest from one lime as an add-in)
- tomato sauce
- tomato paste
- Prepare tomatoes and let drain while you chop the rest of the ingredients. I cut everything by hand the first time and got a backache so use your food processor if you have one.
- Mix in a large bowl with a wooden spoon and pour into plastic containers. Do not process - this is a fresh salsa.
- Store in the refrigerator for 3 or 4 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
This is good! I did not have parsley, just dried cilantro flakes so I did soak them in a little water mixed with some ground cumin. I saved the reserved tomato juice for another dish also. Easy. I do use limes and the juice of limes in many recipes. I liked the use of the brown sugar and especially the taste! Thanks for posting.