From B&G canning mag. This is for whole pear or cherry tomatoes. You can use sliced but they do not look as pretty.
- 5 cups tomatoes, pear or 5 cups tomatoes, cherry
- 1 cup sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 1⁄4 cups white balsamic vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons pickling salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole pink peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole white peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- Wash tomatoes. in large bowl combine tomatoes, onion, red pepper and garlic, toss to combine. Set aside.
- In large none reacting pot combine vinegar, water, sugar, salt, rosemary, all peppercorns and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissoved. Reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Stirring often.
- Remove from heat and discard bay leaf.
- Pack tomatoes into hot sterilized 8 oz jars. Leaving 1/2" head space.
- Pour HOT vinegar mixture over tomatoes, leaving 1/2" head space. Remove any air bubbles in jars, wipe rims and add lids.
- Process filled jars for 15 minutes in water bath.