Recipe by T. Woolfe
I don't remember where I found this but it's handy and tasty. I do this when the garlic is fresh and plump so I have some when the market doesn't. Good to cook with, just peel as needed.
Top Review by Julesong
Oh yumyumyum! TWoolfe, my friends whom I breathe upon shall curse your name, but I love your pickled garlic. :) Thank you! I'm thinking of tossing in some strips of jalapeno into the next batch.
- 4 heads garlic (or more)
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 whole cloves (the spice)
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate garlic cloves, but do not peel.
- Place all ingredients in a large heavy-bottom saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, cook for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Reduce heat to moderate and cook 5 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Transfer to a large glass or ceramic jar large enough to hold garlic and the liquid.
- Tightly seal.
- Refrigerate at least 1 month before serving.
- The garlic improves with age.