- 1 bunch beet, fresh
- 1⁄4 cup salt water (reserve from cooking beets)
- 1⁄3 cup wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut off stems and tips of fresh beets and cook until tender in boiling salted water (reserve 1/4 cup water).
- Cool beets. Slip off outer skin, slice thinly, and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine reserved water with vinegar, sugar spices, and salt.
- Heat until boiling.
- Add beets, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Chill overnight.
- To serve, drain pickled beets and put on a bed of lettuce.
- Top with onion slices and sour cream.