Pickled Herring Salad
photo by Muffin Goddess
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 4 seedless English cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 (12 ounce) jars herring fillets, pickled in wine sauce (such as VitaR)
- Combine cucumbers, tomatoes, and onion in a large glass mixing bowl.
- Stir vinegar and sugar together in a small saucepan over medium-low and bring to a boil; cook and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour over the vegetable mixture. Marinate mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Stir the reserved liquid from the herring into the vegetable mixture. Fold herring into the vegetable mixture. Refrigerate 1 hour more before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made as written for ZWT-9 & a fellow Goddess, this recipe was reduced to 2 servings - BUT DH is not due home from a fishing trip until tomorrow night & his portion may disappear. Most people have a love or hate relationship w/herring, but this salad is so good that it could turn haters into lovers. I esp liked the veggie mix I had never eaten w/herring before & the sweetness the sugar added. Every piece of the recipe works to its advantage. Do not skip the chill time as it does enhance the flavors & I suggest draining the liquid from the salad prior to serving. Thx for sharing this sure-to-be-repeated recipe w/us. Yum!.
My maternal grandfather got me hooked on pickled herring when I was a kid, so I wasn't surprised that I enjoyed this. The veggies were a perfect complement to the fish. I agree with twissis about draining the salad before serving, because there's quite a bit of liquid. I'll definitely be making this again when I have a craving for pickled herring. Thanks for posting! Made for The Hot Pink Panthers for ZWT9
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><img src=http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j446/pammyowl2/chelsea-1-1.jpg?t=1358729305 alt=width=320 height=234 /><img src=http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j446/pammyowl2/th_2934e8e56debfb521317951198.jpg alt=width=160 height=160 /><img src=http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j446/pammyowl2/th_HPIM0151.jpg alt=width=160 height=90 /> alt= />I am an avid cook and baker. I have a Farmers Market stand where I sell breads and sweets. I am really enjouing my stand, as I get to make all kinds of breads, although the sweets are the big attraction! I am married to theworlds most wonderful man, have an aan amazingly brilliant child (of course I would say that!). In short, I am a verry happy, cheerful woman. Baking bread is my passion, but I love to cook anything. </p> <p>I have two great dogs, Jack and Lucy, a black lab and a boxer/pitbull mix, respectively.</p> <p>My rating system;</p> <p>5 stars= great, had fun making it and will make again</p> <p>4= made some changes as the recipe needed tweaking</p> <p>3= probably will not make again</p> <p>I will not post a 2 or 1 star rating, I'd rather post the review with no stars and share some possible fixes:)</p>