Prep 50 mins
Cook 27 mins
A rich and full-flavored Sicilian pasta sauce that is traditionally served with spaghetti. You can also add fried eggplant or black olives. From "The New Pasta Cookbook".
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 anchovy fillets, drained and soaked in
- milk, for 45 minutes
- 1 2⁄3 cups canned Italian tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 sprig fresh basil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large pan heat oil and saute onion and garlic until soft.
- Add drained anchovies and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, breaking them up with the spoon as you stir.
- Add tomatoes and basil, season lightly and simmer,covered for 20 minutes or so, until smooth and thick. Adjust seasoning. No grated cheese is served with this sauce.