Recipe by eric
The "official" empanada filling from Chile, found on Wikibooks
Top Review by Oliver & Fischer's Mommy
This is a very tasty empanada filling...not too sweet, not too salty...just right. I left out the hardboiled egg and made part of the recipe as listed and part with beans to replace the meat. My husband loved the meat filling and I loved the bean filling. Thanks!
- 2 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 large onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin (comino)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- black olives
- 1 diced hard-boiled egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preparation: chop onion, mince garlic.
- Saute onion in olive oil and add garlic. Once onions are translucent add beef and brown. While browning, add salt, sugar, spices, and bay leaf.
- Simmer for 20 minutes uncovered.
- Remove bay leaf, and add olives and raisins.
- Serve in your choice of empanada dough, made from scratch or frozen (I use Cubanita brand).