Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From a outdoor cooking program on AETN (Arkansas Education Television) with Phyllis Speer.Terrific! Great for camping or oven. Even good cold with salsa.
- 2 (10 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes, chopped or 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chipotle pepper (optional)
- 1 cup cornmeal (yellow stone-grounded is best)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Mix together corn, tomato, onion, green pepper, salt, peppers, cornmeal and cheese. Combine well and let mixture sit 10 minutes to absorb flavors.
- Beat eggs; add to evaporated milk and water, mixing well.
- Then add egg mixture to cornmeal mixture. Pour into a #10 (castiron)Dutch Oven or greased heavy large baking dish.
- Bake covered in hot coals or at 375°F for one hour.
- Serve hot or cold.
WE LOVE THIS! By request , I made this again, followed the recipe exactly but with the corned beef added. Some of my husbands friends showed up while it was in the oven and it became clear that I was going to have to stretch the meal out a bit. I was cooking it in a casserole dish at home this time , it had been cooking for about half an hour and was beginning to firm up but had not quite set. I made a well and cracked an egg into it in 6 or 7 places, then baked for another 20 mins. or so till the eggs set. I served it with a nice tossed salad with a light dressing (this is a hearty dish) and the guys went WILD! The chipotle adds such a nice flavour and can be amped up or down as personal taste dictates. For us Phyllis's amount is perfect. Thank you for posting this recipe and for the personal note. Also thanks to Phyllis, she is a genius and she has replaced Angelina Jolie as my husbands dream girl!
This was easy to make and everyone liked it.