Pho Bo (Beef Noodle Soup)
- Bring water to a simmer, add bones and beef, simmer with onion, ginger, fish sauce and sugar for 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Strain foam and fat frequently, but be careful to not stir too much as you don't want to cloud the broth.
- Remove brisket/short ribs; shred meat and set aside for service.
- Add anise, cloves and cinnamon stick in a cheesecloth or spice bag.
- Simmer broth with spices for another 30-45 minutes. Remove spice bag, onion and ginger. Strain broth well, keep boiling hot.
- Cook noodles in boiling water, stirring with chopsticks or spoon to keep from clumping, just until soft (about 45-60 seconds). Remove from water, place in bowl. Top with cooked beef, thin slices of rare beef, cilantro and green onions if desired.
- Mix noodles in broth.