Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 5 mins
Homemade pho. Great for cold weather :P
- 3 lbs beef bones (ask your butcher to cut them into manageable pieces)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef short ribs or 1 1⁄2 lbs beef brisket
- 16 cups water (4 quarts)
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 6 -8 cloves, whole
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- thinly sliced raw sirloin beef, if desired (optional)
- 1 lb rice noodles, uncooked (Banh Pho, small size)
- boiling water
- Bring water to a simmer, add bones and beef, simmer with onion, ginger, fish sauce and sugar for 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Strain foam and fat frequently, but be careful to not stir too much as you don't want to cloud the broth.
- Remove brisket/short ribs; shred meat and set aside for service.
- Add anise, cloves and cinnamon stick in a cheesecloth or spice bag.
- Simmer broth with spices for another 30-45 minutes. Remove spice bag, onion and ginger. Strain broth well, keep boiling hot.
- Cook noodles in boiling water, stirring with chopsticks or spoon to keep from clumping, just until soft (about 45-60 seconds). Remove from water, place in bowl. Top with cooked beef, thin slices of rare beef, cilantro and green onions if desired.
- Mix noodles in broth.