Recipe by CarrieB.
This is a recipe I found in a Pillsbury recipe book. Very quick and easy because it uses frozen cooked meatballs.
Top Review by LainieBug
Delicious, super easy sandwich that is great for a quick weeknight meal. The only thing I did different was to slightly hollow out the inside of the buns so they would hold onto the contents a little better. Made for Fall 2011 Pick-A-Chef.
- 1 (18 ounce) packagefrozen cooked meatballs, thawed
- 1 (14 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (2 cups)
- 1 cup sliced green bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 unsliced hoagie rolls or 6 hot dog buns
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (1 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, cook meatballs in spaghetti sauce over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until meatballs are hot, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, spray a medium skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add the bell peppers and onion; cook for 5 to 6 minutes over medium-high heat or until peppers are crisp-tender, stirring often.
- Split buns lengthwise, making sure not to cut all the way through. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Place meatballs in buns. Top each with pepper mixture. Sprinkle each with cheddar cheese. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese has melted.