Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Our good friend Pete was a chef at a local steak house for many years, and this an excellent marinade he created to use on shish kebabs. Pete passed away several years ago, but everytime we make kebabs, we use this marinade and remember our dear friend. This would also be good with steaks or thick-cut pork chops.
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 pint soy sauce
- 2 ounces whiskey or 2 ounces vodka
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh gingerroot, peeled and grated
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Mix all ingredients.
- Marinate meat several hours or overnight.
- Baste with marinade while cooking.
- Strain remaining marinade, heat to boiling and use as gravy over rice.
- You may use 1 tablespoon dried, ground ginger in place of fresh.
I used this marinade to make chicken kebabs and they were very tasty. I did strain the marinade, boiled it, and served over rice. Next time I think I would use lower sodium soy sauce as it was quite salty. Made for PAC Spring 2010.